Happy Valentines day (week 7)

Hi from Sunday! And from work!

It’s been the s word tonight (s, q, nb, we don’t say those words because they’ll jinx us). I’m tired and I’m bored. I’ve been working on last weeks blog because I never got around to finishing it during the week. And I might have posted something in addition to the blog. I’ve been working on it, but I’m not sure if I’ll share it. As of this moment I’m hesitant.

I normally don’t do this, but here is a kitten in our clinic.

His name is Mistletoe, born around Christmas I’m guessing. He came in because he had surgery done to expand his chest cavity. As of yesterday morning when I left I was sure he was going to go over the rainbow bridge. But when I got to work last night, he was out of the cast he’d been in and out of the oxygen box. He’s totally adorable. Still a little wobbly when it comes to walking but he loves being pet. Head scratches are the best.

Got some work so had to go do that. Did some restocking and cleaning that I hadn’t gotten back to from earlier. So we got busy for a little bit. Update: Mistletoe is going to go home in about an hour from now. I’m happy he pulled through and is doing well. One of the girls at the clinic wants to adopt him, so maybe I’ll see more of his photos if she’s successful.

I came home and got in the door and was greeted by Fiks. A happy surprise. I thought I woke him up. Apparently he woke up a couple of minutes before I got home, so I don’t feel so bad. We had some tea and breakfast while watching YouTube and Doctor Who.

Then we went to go deal with the piles of laundry and ended up taking a nap instead. I’ve been dozing off and on ever since. It’s mid-afternoon and I feel awake enough to function again.

He got me an amazing bouquet of flowers for Valentines Day.

After I woke up enough to function we went over to my parents house to take care of Gucci. We went and said hi first and then we went inside and gave Mom her birthday present from last week, and their anniversary card and present from last week.

We went and pulled Gucci out his stall and I took off his old wrap and put in his new one with some struggling. He kept rocking back and forth and throwing his bad hoof down on the ground almost crushing my hand on the way. He crushed the vet wrap so bad I couldn’t unwrap it all the way. Then he wanted to graze for a little bit afterwards, this was fine so I could put in his dinner and much out his stall a little bit more. Then we got him to (slowly) turn around and hobble back into his stall where I gave him his medicine.

After that we went back inside and cleaned off the syringe and said goodbye to Mom and Poppa and then Fiks said he wanted to go to a couple of places, so we headed out to town again. First we tried to swing by See’s candy, and there was a pretty long line. Neither of us felt like standing in line in the cold, so we went to the the mall next. We went into Kohl’s where we got Fiks a few essentials he needed, and a new bath mat, and then he took me over to the jewelry counter and told me to pick something out. I was really surprised by this, but I loved it. We ended up picking out a necklace and got checked out and headed out to pick up our dinner. It took a little while once we got there, but we did get it, and then we made our way home.

Once we got home we plated dinner (his looks better, that’s why there isn’t a picture of mine), then he went and rented the new Nicolas Cage movie: Wally’s Wonderland.

It was interesting. He doesn’t say one word in it, the other characters talk tho. But yeah…. special. Then we watched an episode of WandaVision. After that we decided to act like adults and moved the cars around, got the garbage cans out, and moved the laundry around before starting the next episode. After the episode I went and took a shower and did the laundry while listening to Fiks watching a couple of YouTube videos. After a while I went and flopped on the bed and waited for Fiks to put his laundry away, then I promptly crawled under the covers on my side and read my book and started to fall asleep.

I slept okay last night, I woke up once around 4, and then again when Fiks got up. Then I slept until about 9, that’s when I deiced to get out of bed and have some breakfast. I made myself a bagel with cream cheese and watched some Heartland before heading over to my parents house. I went and said hi to Gucci, who was happy to get some carrots off of me.

Then I went inside where Mom, Poppa, and Lumi were. Poppa was on his computer and Mom was watching Yellowstone still, so I set my computer up on the table and then waited for Poppa to be done on his computer before we started doing math. I did okay for a while, then I started making little mistakes, which was leading to problems in the problems, so we called it a day. We pasted Gucci and then I packed up my stuff and came home.

I brought the garbage cans in and moved the laundry around, and then I came upstairs and got myself some left over pizza and watched some more Heartland. I called the vet and asked for an appointment for having the vet come back out to check out his abscess, so we got that set up for 1 tomorrow. Then I turned on Buffy and dozed off until the vet clinic called back and asked to move it to 230. Prime sleeping time for me on Tuesdays, but I don’t really have a choice, he needs to be seen again, so I said yes. I emptied the dishwasher next and then I went back to taking a nap while Buffy kept going.

I woke up around 530, later than I wanted to, and cleaned up the kitchen and then before I knew it Fiks got home. So I didn’t have chance to make dinner tonight. He did the rest of the left over pizza and I made myself half a sandwich and had some chips. Then I jumped on the computer to do some more homework and then to work on this. After gaming was done and I was done on the computer we went to bed.

I slept okay last night, waking up again around 4. And then I woke up around 620 and woke Fiks up, thinking that he was going to be late for work. Well, I was wrong. He got a text from his boss that they were getting late freight and that she didn’t want him to show up early. He was going just to hang out for a while on the sofa but then our Wi-Fi went down so we couldn’t stream the news or anything, and I needed to leave so I could get my math done before class, so he got ready and left with me,

I swung by the grocery store first, and got what we needed for the week. Well, minus his cereal. The cereal isle was completely empty and blocked off. Kind of hard to pick up cereal in that case. But I got everything else. After I was done at the store I went over to my parents house and said hi to Gucci. I grabbed him a couple of fresh carrots and gave him his breakfast bucket and hay and let him out for a little graze.

I was actually surprised that he took a photo with me with his ears forward this morning. He normally gets so grumpy when I pull out my phone, but maybe it was because I was doing something a little different today by trying to take the photo with him. Anyway, I mucked out his stall, deciding he needed more new shavings that I’d get later in the day. Then I went inside with my groceries and my school bag. Poppa was peddling on his bike, so I set up while he was doing that. Then we sat down and did some math, and I don’t really understand what we went over, so it’ll be interesting later on. He wants me to practice more, which is a good idea. I just don’t know when I’ll have the time.

I left around 910 to come home, didn’t get home until a little after 930 and then I had to put the cold groceries away before jumping into class. Missing the last few had me really confused on what the topic was, but I stayed with class and took notes and did my best. :: shrug :: I also talked with my Cousin and we set up the time for the movie. We started a little earlier today because of the vet coming in the afternoon. But the movie of the week was Spiderman: Homecoming.

We chatted throughout the movie, like usual, and I didn’t fall asleep! It did take a while for me to get the movie started, the player/PS4 started acting up when I tried to load the movie, so we didn’t really get started until 1145ish. But its a good movie, and I don’t think I’ve seen it since it was in the cinemas. So 3, 4 years almost?

After the movie I swung by the feed store and picked up Gucci some senior feed and some shavings and drove my way down to my parents house. I went over and said hi to him again, giving him a couple of cookies that I bought at the feed store. Lumi came running up and almost into his stall while I was in there, which is a huge no no for everyone’s safety, because if Gucci kicks him he’d be seriously hurt. Poppa came out and worked on the garbage/recycling and I took Lumi into the house when it was close to the appointment time and Mom was back downstairs, so I sat and talked with her for a little bit, then I went and got Gucci out.

We grazed for a little while, and then he wanted to go back into his stall, so I let him do that. I left his halter on though while we waited. And waited. And waited. I didn’t want to bug the clinic, but I wanted to bug the clinic and ask where the vet was. He showed up right around when I was going to give in and called the clinic. So I went and got Gucci out of his stall and we walked around for the vet for a little bit, turning left first, then right.

The vet pulled off his Soft Ride boot and checked his hoof again for an abscess. He said it should have popped by now if it was there, so he thinks it his laminitis is getting worse. We needed to take x-rays, so we walked over into the garage and set Gucci up in there. We had a hard time getting a x-ray of his right front hoof, he didn’t want to put any weight on it, but we eventually got the x-ray. Then we did the same with his left hoof.

He didn’t have any coffin bone rotation, but he is sinking. He’s lost probably 1/8th inch of sole between when we took x-rays last summer and today.

Image result for laminitis
This is what I mean by coffin bone rotation, which he doesn’t have.
Image result for laminitis
His case is currently the one in the middle, the sinking

And I’ve owned him for almost 20 years (eek!). The vet is going to send the x-rays over to the farrier and come up with a plan. He’s either going to go back into sneaker shoes, or he’s going to start to live in his Soft Ride boots. I’m just waiting to hear back right now, but this whole situation just fucking sucks.

Image result for sneaker horse shoes
sneaker horse shoe
Image result for soft ride boots
soft ride boots

I’ve already bought and paid for a pair of soft ride boots, so that would save me some money, but if he would be more successful in the sneaker shoes I’ll just have to come up with some way to afford them. Thankfully they are like his current ones where they can be reset every shoeing.

The vet also wants him going back on some Farriers Formula if we can get him to eat it. I’m willing to drop the cash on him to try to see if he’ll eat it. We’ll just stick it in the bottom part of his bucket and see if he eats it with the tummy supplement. We’re going to focus on his feet right now and not worry about his knee, because his knee won’t get better with his feet being bad. Upsetting, but a smart point. He wants him on his anti-inflammatory medicine 2 grams twice a day for 4 days. Going to have to lean on Mom and Poppa to give him his second does, I can give him his first when I come over in the mornings for math.

Poppa and I took down the 2×4 that we had in his stall which we had put across last week thinking he was going to get knee injections, then treating for his abscess. Not sure if he realized he can go back out in the paddock yet or not, we’ll find out in the morning I guess. But anyway, getting this news made me kinda depressed. I didn’t want to work on math anymore, but Poppa wouldn’t be able to do it tomorrow, because he has to go to church in the morning and won’t be back until late. So I went in and set up after giving Gucci his medicine.

I think I have a better grasp of what was going on for the homework this time. Still not 100% sure on what I’m doing, but I’ll figure it out. Afterwards I came home and started making dinner. Scallops and pasta. It was good. I forgot to take pictures though so sorry about that. I turned on Buffy and dozed the evening away on the sofa so I could stay up a little later tonight so I can sleep in the day tomorrow. I’m not sure how much longer I’ll make it. Its 130 and I’m exhausted.

Okay, I’ve done some homework for my vet assisting class, I’ve updated my profile picture on Facebook which I’ve been wanting to do for a while. And for the first time in a while its not a wedding or wedding related photo. Its of Gucci. I love my boy so much, I just hate this waiting for the vet and the farrier to figure out what to do. Hopefully they’ll get back to me sooner than later. Its almost 3, and I think I’m going to call it and night and a week.

See you next week!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s